Thursday 4 August 2011

Should I be jealous?

So I've been wanting to open my own pharmacy for many years now but something always stops me.  I am either doubting myself or think about the logical end of it all - my family life.

I'm always thinking, can I handle the business end of it?  What if it's not successful?  What would this do to our family life?  I want to do it in the hopes that it makes family life better.  I don't want to be working until 9pm or every other weekend.  But would I be working MORE with my own pharmacy even if the hours are shorter and no weekends (or even just Saturdays?).

What's the climate for independants in Ontario right now?

And then it's the small town thing again...Can another pharmacy survive in a town that never had more than 2 pharmacies in it in it's whole history?  These things make me want to be in the city.  I think that if we were in the city we would be safer in opening up a pharmacy.  But then we wouldn't have the family support that we have here and be able to have more hours to devote to work without the kids being with the baby sitters.

So here is where the jealous sets in.  A family member is just opening up a new independant.  I just found out and I'm happy for them but there is something in the bottom of my stomach making me feel like a loser for not doing it myself as well.  It's what I want in my professional career.  Everyone is telling me to wake up and see what I have.  I'm not going to be in debt for years because of owning a pharmacy, I'm not taking work home with me or doing the accounts after hours and on weekend...

What do you think is better...owning your own pharmacy and possibly making a lot of money in the long run, OR paying off your mortgage on your house in the next 4 years and then all the money you make is saved making you rich over a shorter term?  This is the logic that stops us from deciding to take the leap and open our own.

No comments:

Post a Comment